Visit the BSOTS Linktree for all the podcast and social media platforms.
This episode's track list (title / artist / source / license):
1. Electric Mind Ft. Kool Keith by The Polish Ambassador [Bandcamp] (CC BY-NC 3.0) (2023)
2. City Swagger by DJ Harrison [blocSonic] (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) (2012)
3. Shades, Fades & Blaze by DJ Harrison [blocSonic] (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) (2012)
4. I'M GOOD by Yung Miss [Bandcamp] (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0) (2019)
5. Life Is But A Dream (featuring Kara Square) by J.Lang [ccMixter] (CC BY-NC 3.0) (2022)
6. BESPOKE ft. Wallace by Close Counters [Bandcamp] (CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0) (2019)
7. garden of destruction by niteffect [Bandcamp] (CC-BY-NC-ND 3.0) (2022)
Another Creative Commons crate dig session uncovers seven gems from under the underground. Over on Bandcamp, The Polish Ambassador of Jumpsuit Records creates a low-slung electronic instrumental with hip-hop leanings for Kool Keith (a.k.a. Black Elvis) to glide effortlessly over. It's like he beamed in from another galaxy or something. In Melbourne, Australia, the Close Counters duo crafts an uptempo selection for the dance floor, hovering somewhere between house and broken beat. And then there's niteffect from Budapest, offering a downtempo cut with acidic synth patterns and breakbeats that waft in and out of the mix.
It was over a decade ago that DJ Harrison's '94 Flow album came out on the blocSonic netlabel. It still sounds amazing, especially when you consider a statement that repeats throughout the album: "There are no samples on this record." The first time I heard that, I remembered thinking to myself, "Stop lying to me." That's how frighteningly talented and in the pocket DJ Harrison is. He makes the type of funk and soul that people will be sampling 15 to 20 years from now. Meanwhile, the rap and R&B hybrid cut from Yung Miss is a West and East Coast connection produced by Mr. Ivory Snow of Connecticut (Yung Miss hails from California). This one knocks, and it screams heavy rotation for rap radio.
Seven songs. Thirty-five minutes of your time. Here's hoping the music will prove that this episode is time well spent.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.